The concept of eaves comes from wing, a term that usually refers to the extremities of animals that allow these species to sustain themselves in the air; to parts of an aircraft that enable it to fly; or to some kind of extreme.
In the field of architecture, the sector of the roof that protrudes from the wall is called the eaves, whose function is to protect the structure from rainwater. For example: “Place the pot under the overhang so the plant does not drown if it rains a lot”, “The gusts of wind caused the overhang to come off the roof”, “We waited under the overhang for several minutes until it stopped raining”.
In this case, it is an element that is located between the facade and the roof. In addition to the function of preventing rainwater from reaching the area closest to the entrance of the building, the eaves can have a decisive influence on the aesthetics of a construction, since it merges its two most important elements and can provide a smooth transition and in style.
Throughout history, many cities have adopted the eaves as a constant for their architectural creations, both to maintain a uniform aesthetic line and to give rise to local artistic expression. A good eaves can enhance the image of a building considerably, stand out above the others and attract the attention of passers-by positively.
As with most elements of a building, the eaves can be made using different materials, including the following: brick, tile, wood, and stone. In turn, it is possible to establish a classification taking into account the materials and grouping different finishes or styles that usually appear with each of them:
* among the brick eaves, we can find the cornice (in its simple, continuous, sardinel, checkered, triscado row or peak) varieties, and the caneillos (in art and architecture, the concept of canecillo or can do reference to the head of the beam that can be seen from the outside of the building and that serves to support the eaves);
* the tile gives rise to two types of eaves, both called sandwich, although one is simple and the other includes brick. The bocateja is the first channel tile of each group that is located on a roof next to the eaves;
* Wood eaves can find structural canecillos or apparent canecillos or false;
* the plastered eave is known as a running cornice and can be done on wood or bricks;
* the stone eaves can be made of corbels or they can be built in the shape of a continuous cornice.
Certain vehicles, such as carriages, have eaves so that those who travel do not get dirty with possible splashes that can be produced by the presence of water or mud on the road.
In basketball or basketball, the player who usually moves around the lateral sectors of the field of play and who generally scores points from a distance from the basket is known as a forward. Also called wing, striker, three or small forward, it is usual for this type of player to have good effectiveness in distance shooting and the ability to score in penetrations.
The forward position is similar to that of the pivot wing: sometimes even the small eaves (the traditional eaves) and the large eaves (the pivot wing) are spoken of. The forward, on the other hand, often plays as an escort or base aid.
Larry Bird, Julius Erving, and LeBron James are some of the NBA stars who served or are serving as forwards.