Warehouse is a commercial place where a wide variety of products are sold. Also it called store to the place where the goods or products are stored in a company or organization.
The word warehouse derives from the Arabic al-majzan that indicates the place where things are stored, that is, the warehouse.
Today, warehouse refers to both the place where things are stored and a small business, also called SMEs, where a wide variety of things are sold, especially domestic.
The administration of a warehouse as a place of deposit of goods is called storage. The storage in a company is part of the logistics chain where both transport and storage points are managed where they should arrive.
Functions of a warehouse
A warehouse, part of the logistics chain of a company, has as its function the reception, inventory, conservation and delivery of products.
The warehouse is important as it maximizes space and minimizes handling operations, thus saving space and time.
Warehouses are classified according to several parameters. The following describes a list of warehouses that are classified according to:
- Legal regime: there are own, rented and leased warehouses, that is, those that have a lease with the possibility of being bought at the end of a certain time.
- Equipment and handling techniques: warehouses are adapted depending on the type of material. There are conventional warehouses with shelves, columns and standard height and block stores used for products that can be stacked on top of each other.
- Role in distribution logistics: there is in this classification the central or plant warehouse, the regional warehouse and the temporary or warehouse warehouse.
- Nature of the products: there are warehouses for raw materials, intermediate products, finished products, spare parts or spare parts, and files or documents.
- Degree of atmospheric protection: there is a covered and uncovered warehouse.