Mercer Island is a small city located in Washington State, just east of Seattle. It is located on an island in Lake Washington, and the population of the city is approximately 23,000 people. The geography of Mercer Island is mostly flat with some rolling hills and forested areas. The climate on Mercer Island is mild with temperatures typically ranging from 40-70 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year.
The history of Mercer Island dates back to 1854 when it was first settled by Native Americans and later homesteaded by settlers in 1870. The economy of Mercer Island is largely based on tourism and retail, with many restaurants and boutique stores located near downtown. Education on the island is provided by the Mercer Island School District which has several public schools, as well as a private school, St. Monica’s Academy.
Mercer Island has several landmarks that are popular among both locals and visitors alike. These include Luther Burbank Park which offers stunning views of the lake; Pioneer Park which offers picnic areas, tennis courts, playgrounds, and a fishing pier; and Pioneer Trail which offers a scenic walking trail through native trees and shrubs along Lake Washington’s shoreline. Additionally, there are several churches located on the island such as St Andrew’s Episcopal Church (established in 1884) and St Monica’s Catholic Church (established in 1903). Additionally, there are two libraries: The King County Library System’s branch at Mercer Island Community Center (opened in 1977) and the Seattle Public Library’s branch at Pioneer Park (opened in 2009). Finally, local businesses include shops like PCC Natural Markets (which opened its doors on Mercer Island in 1983) as well as traditional eateries like Roanoke Inn (which opened its doors in 1918).
Population: 22,036. Estimated population in July 2020: 22,862 (+3.7% change)
Males: 10,598 (48.1%), Females: 11,438 (51.9%)
Zip code: 98040
Median resident age: 44.3 years
Median household income: $91,904
Median house value: $573,900
Races in Mercer Island:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.8%)
- Chinese (5.7%)
- Japanese (2.6%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Korean (1.5%)
- Black (1.1%)
- Asian Indian (0.8%)
- Other Asian (0.6%)
- Other race (0.5%)
Ancestries: English (17.4%), German (15.7%), Irish (10.9%), Italian (5.1%), Norwegian (4.7%), Swedish (4.5%).
Elevation: 75 feet
Land area: 6.4 square miles
Neah Mercer Island, Washington is a small suburban town located in King County, just east of Seattle. It has a population of approximately 20,000 people and is known for its beautiful residential neighborhoods and lush green parks. The median household income for Neah Mercer Island is around $90,000 per year, making it one of the wealthier communities in the area. The cost of living in Neah Mercer Island is slightly higher than the national average due to its proximity to Seattle and its desirable location on an island. However, many of the residents find that the benefits of living in this community outweighs the costs.
The town offers residents a variety of amenities, including excellent schools, quality healthcare providers, and plenty of recreational activities. Residents can enjoy easy access to nearby cities as well as numerous outdoor activities such as hiking trails, biking paths and beaches located just minutes away. Many residents also take advantage of the rich cultural life in Neah Mercer Island by attending events such as concerts or art galleries hosted by local organizations or businesses. Additionally, there are several shopping centers within walking distance from most homes which provide residents with plenty of options when it comes to shopping for groceries or other necessities.
For population 25 years and over in Mercer Island
- High school or higher: 97.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 69.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 31.6%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mercer Island city
- Never married: 17.6%
- Now married: 67.9%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 7.8%
13.8% Foreign born (6.3% Asia, 4.4% Europe, 2.1% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +528 (+2.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mercer Island:
- OVERLAKE HOSPITAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 4 miles; BELLEVUE, WA)
- SWEDISH MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA)
- HARBORVIEW MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; SEATTLE, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mercer Island:
- BOEING FIELD/KING COUNTY INTL (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Abbreviation: BFI)
- SEATTLE-TACOMA INTL (about 11 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Abbreviation: SEA)
- SNOHOMISH COUNTY (PAINE FLD) (about 23 miles; EVERETT, WA; Abbreviation: PAE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mercer Island:
- WILL ROGERS WILEY POST MEML (about 7 miles; RENTON, WA; Abbreviation: W36)
- RENTON MUNI (about 7 miles; RENTON, WA; Abbreviation: RNT)
- SEATTLE SEAPLANES (about 7 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Abbreviation: 0W0)
Amtrak stations near Mercer Island:
- 7 miles: SEATTLE (303 S. JACKSON ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: EDMONDS (211 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
According to educationvv, Washington is home to the following higher educational institutes:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mercer Island:
- CITY UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; BELLEVUE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 4,007)
- RENTON TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 6 miles; RENTON, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,623)
- SEATTLE UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 4,743)
- SEATTLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 6 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 4,386)
- BELLEVUE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; BELLEVUE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,013)
- ART INSTITUTE OF SEATTLE (about 9 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,313)
- SEATTLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 9 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,013)
Public high school in Mercer Island:
- MERCER ISLAND HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,395; Location: 9100 SE 42ND; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Mercer Island:
- NORTHWEST YESHIVA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 106; Location: 5017 90TH AVE. SE; Grades: 9 – 12)
- ETC PREP ACADEMY IS.CREST CTR (Students: 67; Location: 8005 SE 28TH ST; Grades: 5 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Mercer Island:
- ISLANDER MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,059; Location: 8225 SE 72ND; Grades: 05 – 08)
- WEST MERCER ELEMENTARY (Students: 588; Location: 4141 81ST AVE SE; Grades: PK – 05)
- ISLAND PARK ELEMENTARY (Students: 559; Location: 5437 ISLAND CREST WAY; Grades: KG – 06)
- LAKERIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 558; Location: 8215 SE 78TH; Grades: KG – 06)
- EEU SPECIAL EDUCATION (Students: 4; Location: 4030 86TH AVE SE; Grades: PK – 04)
- CHILDREN’S INSTITUTE FOR LEARNING DIFFERENCES (CHI (Students: 1; Location: 4030 86TH AVE SE SUITE F; Grades: PK – 12)
Private primary/middle schools in Mercer Island:
- ST MONICA (Students: 232; Location: 4320 87TH AVE SE; Grades: KG – 8)
- FRENCH-AM SCH OF PUGET SOUND (Students: 137; Location: 3795 E MERCER WAY; Grades: PK – 4)
- CHILDRENS INSTITUTE FOR LEARNI (Students: 65; Location: 4030 86TH AVE SE SUITE F; Grades: KG – 9)